Friday, January 15, 2010

Ticket return may be good for Jan. 22

It’s an extremely rough target, but coach Doc Rivers believes Kevin Garnett may return for a Jan. 22 home game against Portland.

The Celtics [team stats] visit the Pistons two nights earlier in Auburn Hills, Mich.

“We would have a practice day the day before (Jan. 22),” Rivers said prior to last night’s 96-83 loss to the Bulls. “I’m just glad that he’s running right now. We’ll have a couple of practices over the next week where he can get on the floor and work with us.

“We’ll play him when he’s ready, and that’s it. But there’s an outside chance that Portland could be the return game for him.”

Garnett, who’s recovering from a hyperextended right knee, was cleared earlier this week to resume workouts. He traveled with the team to Wednesday’s win at New Jersey.

Sheed target

The target for the return of Rasheed Wallace (sore left foot) remains on track, with Monday’s game against Dallas at the Garden a strong possibility.

In the meantime, Brian Scalabrine started his third straight game last night. He had seven points and three rebounds in 20 minutes.

Game not on

Swingman Marquis Daniels (left thumb ligament surgery) remains on track to return after the All-Star break. The cast on his left hand is scheduled to be removed in 1-2 weeks.

Among other things, playing video games is a no-no.

“I can’t do that,” Daniels said reluctantly. “My brother is mad at me because he can’t beat me in that right now.”

Daniels’ conditioning progress report is much better. However, after missing his 18th game to the injury last night, he admitted the road back to basketball shape will be long.

“I’ve been doing a lot of running, but it takes time,” he said. “Thank God I don’t have too much body fat. But I’ve been doing other things, like lifting and running.

“They tell me I’m getting the cast off in a week or two, though. I can still go out and run and keep my wind up.”

Relief sought

Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas was charged with felony gun possession yesterday, but Rivers tried his best to ignore the news.

“I just want the thing to go away,” he said.

Instead, Rivers has another idea.

“Raise money for Haiti,” he said. “That’s far more serious than the Gilbert Arenas situation. Haiti is a good place to send the fine money. All of our fine money should go there.”

Fans can make donations to the earthquake relief effort at the Celtics [team stats] team Web site. Their contributions will be matched by the C’s Shamrock Foundation.

Family reunion

Rivers will have a rare chance to see his son Austin’s high school team from Winter Park, Fla., play in the Spalding Hoophall Classic in Springfield tomorrow.

Members of the team attended last night’s game.

“(Austin’s) coach called and told me they had a chance to play in a tournament in Springfield,” Rivers said. “As a high school kid, the chance to go to Springfield and see the Hall of Fame is a no-brainer.

“It’s the first time since I’ve been here that I can drive down the road and see him play.”

Austin is being recruited by Florida and Duke.