Friday, January 15, 2010

Gibson gritting way through plantar fasciitis

BOSTON -- After missing practice the previous two days with plantar fasciitis of the left foot, rookie Taj Gibson participated in the morning shootaround and started Thursday night against the Boston Celtics.

The only surefire cure is prolonged rest, which isn't an option for Gibson right now, so he'll just try to manage it as best he can.

''I've been playing with it since summer league, but it was upped a notch when I hurt it in the Minnesota game,'' he said.

But even before that game Saturday, Gibson had to deal with the injury on a daily basis.

''It was so stiff, so sore,'' he said. ''It would take me about 30 minutes [in the morning] before I could walk on it every day. So then when I got to practice, it would still be painful, but I would just play through it.''

When he was examined by a team physician earlier in the week, Gibson was given a few stretching exercises to deal with the stiffness and soreness.

''It's helped a lot,'' he said. ''The doctors have been phenomenal, just taking care of me.''

Helping hand

The Bulls announced Thursday they will assist UNICEF with its ongoing relief efforts stemming from the earthquake in Haiti earlier this week.

For tonight's game against the Washington Wizards at the United Center, the Bulls will donate all net proceeds from the 50/50 raffle to UNICEF. In addition, the Bulls will match every dollar that's raised tonight at the UC.

Looking up

Bulls point guard Derrick Rose usually is at his best when he's driving to the basket, but he put on an impressive aerial attack Monday against the Detroit Pistons, sinking jumper after jumper in an 11-for-13 shooting performance.

Besides going in more often, Rose's outside shot has looked different of late because he's getting more arc on it.

''I've been working on shooting it up,'' he said. ''I know if I get the ball up, usually it's gonna go in.''