Monday, February 1, 2010

Suns' Steve Nash playing through lower abdominal strain

HOUSTON - There was some question Sunday whether Suns guard Steve Nash was going to play against Houston after being held out of Friday's and Saturday's practices with a lower abdominal strain.

Nash did not make a shot until 4:38 of the third quarter but he ran the Suns offense well (16 assists), hustled (a season-high eight rebounds) and helped contain Brooks, who went 8 for 22 from the field. Nash did not have one of the Suns' 19 turnovers and tied an arena opponent assists record that he also tied in November.

"I'm a little stiff," Nash said after the game. "But I got through the game and it's not worse so at least I could contribute."

The abdominal strain and some of his chronic back discomfort made shooting most difficult. Nash was 2 of 10 from the field but plans to play again Monday night.

"I was trying my best not to shoot," Nash said. "Maybe it was because I stayed in the room and laid on my back about 14 hours. But I got through it. Most of my shots off the dribble so trying to control myself with the soreness and the pain weren't the best part of my movement. I tried to do other things, hustling and defense, save some energy for some other things I usually don't do much of."

No comments:

Post a Comment