Monday, February 1, 2010

Boozer says calf getting better

Carlos Boozer continued to express optimism Sunday about his recovery from a moderate right calf strain and suggested that it was possible he might be able to play by the end of the week.

"I think I have a shot at it if it continues to get better," Boozer said.

He appeared on the court before Jazz practice, but said he was planning only to ride a stationary bike and possibly work out on an elliptical machine and lift weights. Boozer suffered the calf strain in the third quarter of Wednesday's victory in Portland.

"I think soon -- I mean, I'm not going to put a date on it -- but I think soon I'll be back out there if it keeps progressing the way it has," Boozer said. "It's gotten a lot better really fast, so that's good news."

Boozer noted that he no longer needed to use crutches -- calling it "progress" -- and that he is able to walk now, as opposed to limp before.

Turnaround artist

Sundiata Gaines admits that he didn't follow the Jazz before he was called up last month from the NBA Development League. As a result, he has little knowledge of the tough times that preceeded his arrival.

"It was pretty much up and down," Gaines said. "That's all I really knew."

The Jazz had lost back-to-back home games to Denver (minus Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups ) and New Orleans and fallen out of playoff position. All Gaines has known, though, is a 10-2 team that has surged up the standings.

"I'm glad to hear that turnaround," Gaines said. "We're winning right now, so we just want to keep it going."

Gaines also was happy for the praise he received from Jazz chief executive Greg Miller after Friday's game. Miller shared on Twitter that he told Gaines "I hope he's with us for a good long time and got a great big smile."

"Obviously, he likes my game and I guess likes the things that I do," Gaines said, "so I've got to stay consistent in what I'm doing and develop my game and get better so I can hopefully stay around for a long time."

Briefly

Deron Williams wasn't due back from his uncle's funeral in West Virginia until Sunday afternoon, forcing him to miss practice, although he is expected to play tonight. ... Kyrylo Fesenko went through practice and could return tonight after missing seven games with a sprained left ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment