Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sixers Notes: 76ers president sidesteps questions on Jordan's future

Ed Stefanski, the 76ers' president and general manager, would not guarantee last night that Eddie Jordan will remain the team's coach for the entire season.

Stefanski hired Jordan on May 29, giving him a three-year contract. When asked last night whether Jordan's job is safe this season, the GM sidestepped the question.

"We're all accountable in this whole situation," Stefanski said. "It's not just the head coach; it's the coaches, the players, and myself - no one is happy."

Before last night's 108-106 loss to the Toronto Raptors, Stefanski answered questions regarding his team, which entered the game with a 10-24 record - second-worst in the Eastern Conference.

"I'm not happy at all," he said. "[I'm] frustrated. I'm not the only one. Obviously, the coaches and players are frustrated and not happy. And the fans aren't, and they shouldn't be. I'm an emotional and passionate person, especially when it comes to my job and the Sixers, and we're not getting the job done. And my emotions are that I'm not happy."

Last week, Jordan described himself as "not disappointed."

"I'm a positive, encouragement coach - I told the team that the other day," Jordan said on Dec. 30. "I'm not here to beat you guys up; I'm here to coach you, encourage you, and show you the benefits of playing the right way. And I knew it was going to be a progression, a gradual progression . . . you have to go through a little struggle to make sure your roots are planted in the ground to be sure you're stronger when the season comes at the end."

Last season, the Sixers finished 41-41, losing a first-round playoff series to the Orlando Magic. A month later, Stefanski hired Jordan.

At what point this season would Stefanski consider a coaching change?

"One thing is, I said, I'm very unhappy," Stefanski replied. "Everyone - coaches, players, and myself - and I'm going to pinpoint myself - we're all accountable on this whole thing. We review daily. I don't think there's a certain time you say, 'Change.' Everyone in the organization is accountable, and I'm accountable to upstairs."

He was referring to team owners.

How would Stefanski review Jordan's performance?

"I'm not happy with anything," Stefanski said.

How would Stefanski review his own performance?

"I don't review my job, it's upstairs . . .," the GM said. "Obviously, if you're looking at the record, I haven't done a real good job so far. Again, I look at myself every day and know who I am and how hard I work, but I don't review myself; it's upstairs that reviews me."

Reggie's back. Last night's game was the first of four this season between the Sixers and the Raptors. Toronto's roster includes power forward Reggie Evans, whom the Sixers traded on June 9, 2009 for current forward Jason Kapono. Evans did not play last night because of a left mid-foot sprain and has yet to play this season. Kapono is averaging 5.1 points in 14.3 minutes a game.

Evans said he has been following his old squad.

"I don't want to go into too much depth about what they're missing," Evans said. "I don't want to bash them. As far as what I brought to the table, I guess it wasn't really needed anymore. I guess they needed a three-point shooter and they got their three-point shooter."

Stomach issues. Reserve power forward Elton Brand did not play last night because of a stomach virus.