Saturday, January 9, 2010

NBA’s Euro vision blurred

The skittishness of top Euro talent isn’t helping the relationship between NBA personnel chiefs and international players.

First there was Spanish center Fran Vazquez, who put Orlando on ice in 2005, stayed in Spain, and has yet to play a minute in the NBA. (Of course, Dwight Howard makes it easy to forget.)

But now we have an even bigger and equally fickle character - Ricky Rubio, who cost the Timberwolves a higher draft pick (No. 5 overall last June), appears to waffle more every time he speaks.

Consider what the young guard recently told the Spanish newspaper L’Equipe:

“Ultimately, I preferred to stay in Europe. When I stand back, I know I made the right choice. We’ll see if I’m going to the NBA one day, when I feel ready.”

Rubio denied that his decision to remain in Europe was related to the sorry state of the Timberwolves, though perhaps he was being considerate.

““There were many reasons. ... but also the feeling that I had not done everything in Europe,” he said. “For example, I have never been Spain’s champion. I have never won the Euroleague either. That’s why I signed with (Barcelona). I want to win everything.”

Vazquez similarly felt unprepared and more compelled to win titles in his home country. And he’s still not here five years later.

Hopefully Minnesota general manager David Kahn hasn’t left a candle in the window.