Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ray Allen wants to stay a Celtic

WALTHAM - His name already has been floated as a trade possibility, but this drill is nothing new for Ray Allen.

The Feb. 18 trade deadline accelerates everything at this time of year - perhaps even more than usual this season because of next summer’s unprecedented free agent class - and the Celtics [team stats] guard is strapped in for the ride.

“I can’t say I get worried, because it’s not like you say you’re getting traded and you have to move to Mars,” Allen, a prime candidate because of his expiring max contract, said after yesterday’s practice. “I don’t look at it like that. I’ve been there before. I’ve been in a situation where I expected to be traded and I was traded. If one day I’m traded and told I have to move, then there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s the nature of this job, but the family is something I obviously have to deal with first.”

It just so happens that Allen’s family has grown accustomed to the Boston area, including the proximity of the Joslin Diabetes Center for his 2-year-old son, Walker.

“That’s part of the job,” Allen said. “You have to figure out the best to do with them, and then I have to do my job.”

Allen should be a simple re-signing for the Celtics. He wants to return, will play for a contract worth far less than the one he has now, and will embrace a reduced role if asked.

“Have you ever known me to worry about being in the game or playing less minutes?” he said. “I’ve always said I would love to see Tony Allen play more. I would love to see Marquis (Daniels) in there playing more minutes. It means a great deal to this team.

“We’re in a great position on the floor and we definitely plan to play a long time, going into June. It does spare me. It spares me a great deal, but the one thing I can say is that I’m in great shape. I never feel winded when I’m on the floor. I’m going to come out and I’m going to need a break, and to get guys in there who are just fresh, period.

“This is what I do for a living, so I live my life according to it - how I’m going to play when it’s game day,” he said. “Forty minutes is a lot of minutes as you get older, but whatever comes up next year and however it comes, I’m ready for whatever it is, whatever Doc (Rivers) needs me to do, whatever this team ends up being. I could fit right in with what needs to be done.”

And he would do it in a way that fits this team’s financial picture.

“At this point, what I’m making now, I made a great living throughout my career,” he said. “I know going into next year I won’t make the money I’m making now. I know that.

“I’m ready to be here. I’d love to retire with this organization. That’s up to the team, but I want to be here. This team has proven over decades to be a winner in sports. I’m committed to it, and that’s what I would like to do.”

In the spotlight

The Celtics are about to embark on one of their most glamorous three-game stretches of the season, starting tomorrow in Orlando, continuing Friday in Atlanta, and culminating in a home game Sunday against the Lakers. The only problem is the turnaround time.

“Go ask TV,” Rivers said. “It’s an unbelievable three games; I just wish we had some days in between them. But you’ll get that in the regular season.

“You want to win them. They’re special games because they’re against those teams and they’re a lot of fun. Having said that, you can’t use that as a measuring stick. You don’t know what those teams are going through. The Lakers are on a long road trip, Orlando could be playing well or not well, and the same with Atlanta. In the playoffs you are getting their best. You could say it’s a measuring stick for this moment, but it won’t matter until you get to the playoffs.”

Rivers still is cringing at talk about Glen Davis’ nickname change from Big Baby to Uno Uno, in honor of his uniform.

“How about Glen?” the coach suggested. “That would be nice instead of Shanaynay or Mookie or Spooky. Just call him Glen.”

Scal’s back

Brian Scalabrine, after missing two games because of a separated right shoulder, practiced without any complications. Rivers said the big forward should be available against Orlando.

“Scal practiced today and showed no signs of injury,” Rivers said. “He shot two airballs and I was like, ‘Scal’s back.’ He’s good. He’ll play. Everybody will play minus Marquis, who did some passing plays today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment