Saturday, January 16, 2010

Orlando Magic notes: Coach Stan Van Gundy has long talk with struggling Rashard Lewis

Coach Stan Van Gundy said he met with PF Rashard Lewis on Thursday "for quite a while" to discuss his frustration — and the team's.

Lewis said after Wednesday night's game loss to the Denver Nuggets that he wasn't getting quite enough shots.

Does he have a point?

"Yes and no. We need to find more shots for our keys guys, but part of it is the defense is keying on those guys, especially on Rashard," Van Gundy said. "Part of it his energy and aggressiveness. I talked to him quite a while (Thursday).

"I think he's frustrated. That's a bit of the problem. There's sort of a frustration running through our team. Rashard had made a comment that sometimes it feels like we're a last-place team. That sort of sums up a little bit of where our guys are right now."

Van Gundy said that given the injuries, new players and road-heavy schedule, that their 26-13 record heading into the Portland game says "they're doing a pretty good job. But the external and external expectations are real high.

"We have the fourth-best record in the league and we're frustrated. In some ways, that's good. It shows standard we're holding ourselves too."

Jameer says sitting out isn't an option

PG Jameer Nelson said he hasn't broached the idea of sitting out to allow his sore surgically repaired knee more rest.

"Have I thought about it? I don't know. My thing is I've always played through things," he said.

Nelson missed 16 games after Nov. 18 arthroscopic surgery on his left knee. He's played in 13 games and has been inconsistent, lacking quickness.

"Just got to find a way, man. I definitely want to get going (offensively). That's not necessarily about offense, either. I have to do a better job, defensively, and do other things," he said.

"It's tough. I'm out there. There's nothing I can do. If I felt I wasn't well enough to play, I wouldn't play. One day, this thing will get right."

Layups

SG Vince Carter laughed and said he shot the ball better than expected as he tested his sprained left shoulder in Friday's shootaround. He worked for 20-25 minutes.

SG Brandon Roy (hamstring) sat out the game against the Magic, continuing the Trail Blazers' injury-racked woes.