Saturday, January 16, 2010

Nets notes: Kiki Vandeweghe, Chris Douglas-Roberts clear air

Clearing the air

Kiki Vandeweghe met with Chris Douglas-Roberts after practice Thursday to make sure his small forward was still on board.

Douglas-Roberts has been upset after many losses, and has said plenty without saying too much. His shot attempts have gone down lately as the Nets have run the offense through Yi Jianlian more. It was a subject with the media Thursday prompting Vandeweghe wanting to speak to Douglas-Roberts.

"It was based on what a couple of guys said to him. They went and said I was complaining about shots and I was complaining about my role, which I hadn't done one time," Douglas-Roberts said. "He had some concerns about that and I was glad he did and I wanted to clarify that.

"We just talked about a lot of different things. But that was the main focus on me being unhappy. I'm unhappy but it's about the way we're playing. It's simple."

Frustrated tweets

Douglas-Roberts, a Twitter enthusiast, also has been hearing from the Nets' fans on his favorite social networking page.

"Nets fans have been all right," he said. "But it's just been love-hate since I've been here. That's just how I feel. Earlier on, [it was], 'I wasn't going to be anything.' Then as the season started I was loved. Now that they hear or read a story that they really don't know what's true or not – now it's 'get rid of him.'

"They always come to me with stuff like that: I talk too much; get rid of him; he has bad body language; he's selfish. I get that a lot. That's irrelevant. That doesn't mean anything to me. That's a person's opinion."

Williams waived

Shawne Williams' second chance lasted less than five days.

The Nets waived the troubled Williams a little while before he turned himself in to authorities Friday in Memphis. Williams, acquired Monday from Dallas with Kris Humphries for Eduardo Najera, was indicted on eight drug charges.

"[He was] way out of shape; didn't like what we saw," Vandeweghe said. "He said he had to go home for some medical emergency for his grandfather. So we sort of made the decision at that time this probably wasn't going to work. So we waived him and all this other stuff came down."