Saturday, January 16, 2010

Kirk Hinrich blossoming in starting role

The Bulls were 7-3 entering play Friday since coach Vinny Del Negro inserted Kirk Hinrich and Taj Gibson into their starting lineup.

Coincidence?

"I don't know," Hinrich said. "Write whatever you want."

This is indisputable: Hinrich's statistics have blossomed in his first 10 games as a starter, even though his minutes have increased only slightly.

Hinrich entered Friday's game averaging 11.4 points as a starter compared to 8.5 as a reserve. His assists average is 5.8 as a starter and 3.8 as a reserve. His rebounding average is a full rebound higher at 3.9 per game while starting. And he's shooting 42 percent as a starter as compared to 36.2 as a reserve.

That percentage has even a more dramatic difference from 3-point range, 44.4 percent to 32.2 percent.

"I have been more aggressive offensively," Hinrich said. "And I feel I've shot it a little better. I've always tried to handle either role with the same approach, but, yeah, I do feel more comfortable starting."

Heads up: Tyrus Thomas drew plenty of airtime for his Thursday night foray into the TNT announcing table, where he barreled into Doug Collins and Kevin Harlan while chasing a loose ball.

It's a familiar place for Thomas.

In his first game back after missing seven weeks with a fractured radius in his left forearm, Dec. 26 against the Hornets, Thomas jumped the courtside seats pursuing a loose ball. The next game, Dec. 29 against Indiana, he did the same.

"I grew up jumping fences to get away from dogs, so jumping some fans in the first row is no big deal," Thomas said colorfully and light-heartedly. "I'm athletic and acrobatic. It's no big deal. I'm just hustling to try to help us win."

Layup: Asked repeatedly about the Gilbert Arenas incident pregame, Del Negro fired off perhaps the line of the season, blurring the NBA with the NRA: "Do we have a basketball game here? I feel like Charlton Heston."