Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Iverson guaranteed through rest of Sixers' season

It was about as unexpected as Andy Reid saying he has to do a better job after an Eagles loss.

The Sixers yesterday announced that guard Allen Iverson's contract will be guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

"Honestly, I hadn't even thought about it," said Iverson, laughing. He said he loves being back with the organization that he called home for the first 10-plus years of his career. "I think the only frustrating part of the whole thing was trying to get into playing shape and dealing with my knee. That's been the only rough part of this whole thing.''

Iverson missed four straight games with an arthritic left knee, an ailment he says is getting better every day.

"As far as just the fans and the city embracing me like they did from Day 1, that's been great,'' he said. "That was something that I really wanted to happen and being that it happened it made me feel that much more comfortable. I'm happy, and I haven't been in a long time. You go back to feeling good about playing basketball, feeling good about the people around me and the situation."

Iverson played in his 10th game last night since returning to the team on Dec. 2, when he agreed to a prorated, $1.3 million, veterans-minimum contract after parting ways with the Memphis Grizzlies. Before last night, he was averaging 15.7 points and 4.7 assists in 33.2 minutes. He has become a calming influence on a very young team and a sounding board for the young players.

"Since his arrival, Allen has done everything asked of him and has been an excellent teammate," said general manager Ed Stefanski.

Said coach Eddie Jordan: "He's a guy that's added a lot to us, leadership, and things on the floor he does for us. He's a valuable part of what we're doing since he's signed."

And his short time here has been valuable for Iverson, also.

"A lot of times when you come into a situation and it's not a winning situation and things haven't been peaches and cream, a lot of times it gets so frustrating, the environment is so bad, it seems so dark when you come into a situation like that," Iverson said. "But this situation hasn't been like that. That's something I really want to be a part of, especially at this point in my career. I'm positive just like everybody else is around here and it feels good to try to accomplish something with these guys.

"I didn't know what to expect, how hard it was going to be, how easy it was going to be. Dealing with the injury has been the most frustrating part. Aside from that, everything has been perfect for me. I'm getting healthier. I'm at a point where I'm happy where we are. These guys in this locker room believe in each other. That's all that I want."