Sunday, January 10, 2010

Foye flourishes at point guard during the absence of Arenas

There was silver lining Friday for Randy Foye, who had the unenviable task of meeting with investigators regarding the Gilbert Arenas weapons possession case, and he was one of four players fined by the Wizards for Tuesday's pregame stunt at Philadelphia in which Arenas pretended to shoot his teammates with his fingers.

But Foye also had a season-high 20 points in the win over Orlando as he slid back into the Wizards' starting five for the eighth time this season, a move that in part stemmed from that very stunt three days earlier. The final straw that led to the indefinite suspension of Arenas may also provide the long-sought opportunity for the fourth-year guard to solidify his place in the rotation.

"I have a certain comfort level now, where I feel as though I'm not looking over my shoulder," said Foye. "I feel I'm able to go out there, execute the offense and just play."

Foye, Nick Young, JaVale McGee and Andray Blatche were fined $10,000 each for their participation in the finger run episode, as played a premeditated role, falling down when Arenas "shot" them.

"The joke wasn't meant to harm anyone, but at the same time it was wrong, period," said Blatche. "I was involved in it. I fell, and I took my consequences for it. I took the fine, which I had no problem with. What was wrong was wrong."

With Arenas out, and Earl Boykins remaining in a reserve role, Foye could be right answer at point guard, and the return of Mike Miller after nearly seven weeks out with injury gives the Wizards (12-22) a multi-dimensional playmaker, rebounder and passer at the two-guard.

"There's going to be nights like I've done this year where I have to score," said Miller, who had just six points against the Magic. "Believe me, I hear the fans telling me to shoot more, whatever, but you know what, passing the ball, getting the ball poppin' is something that gets going. It's like a domino effect."

There is a still a void with Arenas out and Javaris Crittenton essentially reduced to a ghost-like presence since he remains injured but not officially suspended, but their teammates have not turned on them.

"We feel bad for the guys, but at the same time, we understand," said Foye. "You do something, there's always consequences. There's always karma, any type of way. I know they understand that. They're handling this as professionals, but you live and you learn from these situations. What don't kill you only makes you stronger."

But will Antawn Jamison's admission that "things might change" affect Washington's play?

"I don't think so," said Wizards president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld. "I think we're going take it one game at a time, see how we do. I think we showed that when we play up to our abilities, and when we play together, we play as a team, and we compete, rebound, move the ball, do the things necessary, that we can compete on a high level."