Sunday, January 10, 2010

Blazers guard Steve Blake says he will return Sunday against Cavaliers

Trail Blazers point guard Steve Blake, who has missed the past four games with pneumonia, said he will return to action Sunday against Cleveland.

Blake on Sunday completed his second consecutive practice, this time under the watchful eye of team doctor Tom Reis. After Blake completed a strenuous 2-on-2 workout, during which he teamed with Shavlik Randolph against Patty Mills and Jeff Pendergraph, Reis took his blood pressure and vitals. Blake said everything was fine.

"I'm going to tell them I'm ready to go,'' a sweat-drenched Blake said.

Blake said athletic trainer Jay Jensen mentioned a possible limit on his playing time - perhaps five minutes a half - but Blake said he shouldn't be limited for health reasons.

"I told Jay if I'm ready to go, I will go 100 percent, and play me as much as coach wants me to play,'' Blake said. "I said I would let them know if something was wrong.''

Blake said he lost 8 pounds during his sickness, which required him to be hospitalized for two days. On Sunday, Blake not only looked recovered, he looked peppy on the court, at times blowing past Mills while displaying some moves that drew some "oohs" from assistant Bill Bayno.

"I felt good,'' Blake said. "Whenever you get a break like that you get energized, for sure. Even though I lost a lot of energy and lost some weight, mentally I'm ready to go. That felt good. It was fun.''

Blake is averaging 7.6 points and 3.6 assists and is shooting a team-best 39 percent from three-point range (57-for-146). He is averaging 30 minutes a game.