Sunday, January 10, 2010

Controversial foul call won't make Derrick Rose change style

Bulls-Bucks
Derrick Rose is fouled as he goes up for a shot against Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut. (Morry Gash, Associated Press / January 8, 2010)

No, Derrick Rose did not relive via DVD his controversial charge in the last minute of the Bulls' loss Friday night in Milwaukee. His smile indicated he knows movies aren't enjoyable when you know an unhappy ending is coming.

"I know what I did," Rose said Saturday night before the Bulls beat the Timberwolves at the United Center. "He called it. There was nothing I could do about it."

The only question is when the second-year guard will receive the benefit-of-the-doubt calls typically afforded NBA stars, when an Andrew Bogut won't be able to draw a charge on Rose with 33.4 seconds left and the game in the balance.

"You hope it equals out at some point," Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro said. "I like the way Derrick has been aggressive. Some calls are going to go with you, and some aren't."

It's merely incumbent upon Rose to remain aggressive, no matter which way the whistle blows.

"I can't worry about anything else or what they call -- I just have to go out and play," Rose said. "If it was a messed-up call, they can evaluate it, too, so I'm not worried about that.

"That's not going to stop my game, getting a charge. ... As long as I'm staying aggressive, I'll always put the (other) team on their heels."

Fall of Troy: First the NCAA walloped Taj Gibson's college basketball team. Now his alma mater's football coach, Pete Carroll, appears bound for the Seahawks and the NFL.

"I know Pete real well, he always came to basketball games, talked to me many different times," the Bulls' rookie forward said. "(I'm) a little stunned. But it's a great opportunity."

A little Phil: Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis flashed a bit of the dry humor made famous by his former boss, Phil Jackson, when asked if he was surprised about his team ranking second in the league in free-throw attempts since Dec. 12.

"Third? That wouldn't surprise me," Rambis deadpanned. "But second, that surprises me."