Thursday, February 4, 2010

After Ainge talk, Ray Allen’s in a good place

Ray Allen is well aware there are no guarantees in this NBA life. But after he and his wife met Tuesday with Celtics [team stats] general manager Danny Ainge to discuss trade rumors, he’s feeling better about his standing with the Celtics.

“Danny just told me, ‘Look, I know you guys have been dealing with this over the past couple of weeks,’ ” Allen said following last night’s 107-102 win against the Miami Heat at the Garden. “He was like, ‘I haven’t made any calls in trying to get you traded. It’s always speculation coming from other franchises and other newspaper outlets around the country.’

“So anything could happen. For me, I just keep playing basketball. It’s not my job to sit here and worry and let it stress me or bog me down. You know, it was great to sit there and talk to Danny because he and I have a great relationship.”

Allen was in the car with his wife and kids Tuesday when he received a call from Ainge. He steered his car to the team’s practice facility.

“We just talked about all the things that (have been rumored),” Allen said. “I don’t really watch a whole lot of TV and read the newspaper. It’s just other people on the outside talking about me being traded and going different places. Everybody’s like, ‘Are you going somewhere?’ I was like, it’s out of my control.

“There’s nothing that I need to worry about. It’s even tougher because other people have to deal with it and they bring it to me.”

It wasn’t the first time Allen has spoken to the club about his situation. The guard is in the final year of his contract, and the team made no real move to extend the deal prior to the season. He therefore understands that things could get very interesting over the summer.

“We’ve talked about it, and definitely I have a firm grip on where the team stands,” Allen said in an earlier conversation. “Obviously I’m going to be a free agent when the season’s over, but I’m not worried about that. I want to win a ring. That’s my focus.”

Last night, Allen said he is confident this team can win another championship if it rediscovers its focus.

“Believe me there’s not a better group of guys that are capable right now,” he said. “I’m not looking at our record, even though our record is not too shabby. We have a roster that can win it. . . . It’s never guaranteed. So we have to be very selfish about really wanting to be good now and really wanting to take care of our bodies, making sure that we hold each other accountable and doing it in a good way.

“And we’ve got to treat this season very specially and know that whatever comes out of it is what we want to come out of it, and that’s winning a championship.”

No comments:

Post a Comment