Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fan favorite West back with Hawks

The Hawks signed guard Mario West to a 10-day contract Tuesday, bringing back the fan favorite and former Georgia Tech star.

West, who had been playing for the Maine Red Claws in the NBA's D-League, was at the team's practice Tuesday morning.

West made the team two seasons ago as an undrafted rookie out of Georgia Tech and Douglas County. He played in 117 games for the Hawks over the past two seasons, starting five. The Hawks cut him in training camp this season.

"It feels kind of like a reunion," said West. "It's kind of like these are my brohters. I went away for a little bit and now I'm back and hopefully I can stick."

Coach Mike Woodson did not hide his pleasure in having West back on the roster. The coach and player traded trash talk as they played a lighthearted game of one-on-one.

"I love everything about Mario West," Woodson said. "I've always loved what he's done for our ballcub from day one. He pushes practice. I'm not scared to throw him in the game and he has to defend the best player on the opposing team. So it's good to have him back in a Hawk uniform."

West took the roster spot of forward Othello Hunter, who was put on waivers last week.