Monday, February 1, 2010

Signs point to improved Kevin Garnett

WASHINGTON - When Kevin Garnett dunked with 22.2 seconds left, it was a small step for a Celtic - but a giant leap up the ladder of legends.

The points were Garnett’s 18th and 19th of the night, giving him 21,792 for his career. That moved him to 24th on the NBA’s all-time list, one ahead of Larry Bird.

The milestone was largely lost in the aftermath of the Celts’ 99-88 triumph against the Wizards last night and in the re-examination of Garnett’s health.

There is word he is dealing with a slight groin problem in addition to the shin splints and general discomfort as he comes back from offseason surgery on his right knee.

After this one, he finally let on that he’s working through some issues. But this was a good outing, with Garnett hitting 8-of-9 shots in 31:34 and being noticeably more assertive on offense.

“It felt good, man,” he said. “It felt good to win. I’m out here playing just like anybody else is playing. Everybody’s beat up. I’m no different from that. Hell, P (Paul Pierce [stats]) is no different from that. Ray (Allen), Rajon (Rondo), everybody’s dealing with something.

“At the end of the day I’m not going to point at that as anything. My grit and my effort is going to stand for me or is going to be pointed out at the end of the day. We’ve just got to be consistent with what we’re doing.”

Garnett continued to try to turn the conversation to the team, but it was noted that if he plays to his capabilities it helps the overall effort greatly.

“You see me every day,” he replied. “You deal with me every day. I see me. I know what’s going on with myself. I can always get myself ready when I’m asked to, to be a certain level. Some nights it’s more difficult than others, but I worry about other guys on this team and I make sure that collectively we’re ready to go out and display great basketball. Sometimes that’s a task within itself. But it’s my role on this team. I never worry about myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment