Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Jackson says hand injury causing "excruciating pain"

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Stephen Jackson was cringing from the pain in his heavily wrapped left hand following the Charlotte Bobcats' 95-86 overtime victory over the Washington Wizards on Tuesday night.

"I keep getting hit and the ligament is really bruised," said Jackson, who revealed that the top knuckle on his left index finger has been troubling him for nearly four weeks. "It's not broken or anything, but every time I slap down on the balls, it's just excruciating pain that I can't shake, but I've got to find a way to get through it."

Jackson scored 16 points on 6 for 19 shooting against the Wizards. He missed three of seven free throws, missed a potential game-winning jumper at the end of regulation and failed to score in overtime.

"It's bothering me a lot because I can't catch the ball comfortable like I normally do," he said. "I set up a lot of my offense with my left hand, and it's kind of trying to make me find something else to do. It's definitely bothering me right now, but that's not an excuse."

Jackson scored the 10,000th point of his nine-year NBA career on Jan. 16 against the Phoenix Suns.

"I was telling Coach this is my first year that I haven't missed a game all season, so it's starting to take its toll on my body," Jackson said. "I've been getting beat up a lot and it's starting to catch up with me a little bit."

Jackson is averaging 20.7 points this season with Golden State and Charlotte. He joined the Hornets on Nov. 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment