Saturday, February 6, 2010

Shaky night for pained Kevin Garnett

Signs of slippage were everywhere in the Celtics [team stats]’ 96-87 win over New Jersey last night, but the problem seemed to crystallize in the person of an obviously hobbled Kevin Garnett.

The man who is expected to make this ride a long one couldn’t elevate to convert a third-quarter alley-oop pass from Rajon Rondo [stats]. This Hall of Fame-caliber defender was taken to the hole by Kris Humphries - yes, Kris Humphries.

But Garnett, despite continuing to favor his right leg, wrote his problems off to a one-night brain cramp.

“I was OK - I made some misreads,” he said. “Kris Humphries made a couple of baskets on me and I wasn’t too happy about that. Defensively you have to know what you are going to do when picks come, talking for guys like Rondo and Ray (Allen). I messed up a couple of times.

“I am human. I will get better at that, but right now my focus is on rebounding better and continuing to talk,” said Garnett. “I did miss some assignments tonight, which is something I don’t usually do.”

Weep not for Nets

It’s difficult not to feel bad for the Nets, except for one thing.

Players like Allen have been down that road, where the next win seems like it is months away.

“Everyone in this locker room has been through that at some point,” said Allen. “I don’t feel sorry for them. It’s almost like a rite of passage in the NBA. You have to learn what it is to be successful. Some guys have won immediately, but the majority of guys have gone through a lot of frustration. That’s why when you’re in that kind of situation it’s important to have fun.”

Thumb beat

Marquis Daniels thought he was going to get a full-contact workout - and thus a physical test for his surgically repaired left thumb - on Thursday.

Instead, the contact is expected to come today, with the Celtics swingman taking aim at tomorrow’s game against the Magic for his return.

Rivers has talked of Daniels’ need to practically relearn the offense, and Daniels believes that repetition should get him up to speed.

“I just have to get the sets back,” he said. “It’s the difference between seeing it and doing it.”

The process may be a little more involved than that, according to Rivers.

“Since Marquis has been out, we’ve put in a ton of things offensively and defensively, and he was still trying to learn the new stuff, the beginning stuff,” Rivers said. “We’ll have to throw him in there eventually. It may be (tomorrow) - I’m just not sure yet.”

Daniels is also waiting for his first serious whack on the thumb, just to get him reacclimated.

When it was suggested he just hold his hand out for Perkins to give it a chop, Daniels smiled and said, “Well, I’m not sure he’s the one I would want to do it, but it’s going to happen.

“There’s going to come a time. They’ll be looking to set screens to welcome me back soon enough. I just want to play - get back out there.”

At least he won’t have to wait much longer.

“Tomorrow we’ll be able to go up and down - that’s the first time he’s been able to do that,” said Rivers. “Not only repetition, but it’s training and rhythm. It’s completely different than if it was Paul (Pierce), coming back from injury for as long as Paul has been out. Paul knows the system - he’s been in the system, it’s very easy for him to pick up on stuff.”

Pierce pedals

Pierce, who remains an odds-on favorite to return in tomorrow’s game against the Magic, worked up a pregame sweat on a stationary bicycle.

“I don’t know just yet,” Rivers said of Pierce’s return. “I think I’ll have a better idea tomorrow; he’s doing a lot with B-Doo (strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo), just working out.” . . .

Rivers was stunned by the news that he is the third longest-tenured coach in the league, behind Utah’s Jerry Sloan and San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich.

“I didn’t know that,” he said. “That’s sad. That’s unbelievable. That’s surprising. There’s some great coaches out there who clearly should have been doing that a lot longer than me. It’s a talent-based league, and if you have enough of it you’ll win.”

No comments:

Post a Comment