Monday, February 8, 2010

Paul Pierce has plan of action

Though Doc Rivers said yesterday that Paul Pierce [stats]’s availability for today’s game against Orlando would be a gametime decision, the Celtics [team stats] captain said he’s ready to play.

Pierce also said the state of his left foot during the two remaining games before the All-Star break - including Wednesday night in New Orleans - will determine whether he participates in Friday’s 3-point contest and Sunday’s All-Star Game.

“I feel like I could have gone last game, but I’m really ready to go,” Pierce said after yesterday’s practice. “I know my body better than (an) X-ray. I think it’s my decision. He asked me if I could play tomorrow and I told him yeah. I felt good with some of the drills we had going on today.

“I feel pretty good with the light practice,” he said. “I think I’m good to go tomorrow. It’s improving - not quite 100 percent - but it’s getting there. It’s a matter of healing. A sprain in the mid-foot, it’s a little odd where it’s at. It really hurt the past couple of days, but I’ve been getting the necessary treatment.”

Pierce also believes he needs to play these next two games to: 1) Build a rhythm for the West Coast road trip that follows the All-Star break, and; 2) Determine whether he can play in the All-Star Game.

“It’s definitely important, because I want to go into the break with a little momentum,” he said. “We have a tough stretch coming up when we go out West, so I definitely want to get these next two.

“See how it feels,” Pierce said of whether he plans to play in the All-Star Game. “See how it feels tomorrow and Wednesday, and then see how it goes through the All-Star Game. If things don’t work out then they’re not going to work out.

“But I’ve been able to move around on it. Even the day after I could walk on it. It’s odd - I’ve never had a sprain in that part of my foot. The hardest part is putting on the shoe.”

Rivers has taken a more cautious approach. The Celtics coach said Pierce and Marquis Daniels, who has missed the last 28 games because of thumb surgery, would both be gametime decisions.

Rivers thought Pierce was favoring his foot during the limited practice.

“He looked OK,” Rivers said. “I’m not sure yet. We’ll wait until tomorrow. I thought he looked good until we ran a couple of live plays. Then he was a little hesitant, and if he’s hesitant, then we’ll sit him.

“Paul I’m more concerned (about) if he’s hesitant or not,” said Rivers. “If he’s hesitant at all, then we’ll just pass on the game.”

‘Stuff’ to learn

Rivers, hesitant to use Daniels until the swingman adapts to the new sets the team has added since he left the lineup, was pleasantly surprised yesterday.

“Marquis looked pretty good, actually,” he said. “Despite not knowing any of our stuff, he looked OK.

“He played hard, he played normal, he just has to figure out some of the stuff. It’s 50-50 right now. And if Marquis dresses I’m still not sure if he’ll go. It’s me more than him. I’d prefer he have the really good practice we’ll have on Monday and Tuesday first, but we’ll dress him and see.”

Daniels, like Pierce, was simply eager to return to the floor.

“I’m just ready to get back out there,” said Daniels, who later posted on Twitter that he will play. “Just getting the plays and getting my rhythm back. We have so many options out of one set, I have to try and remember them all. I think I’m ready. Whatever minutes I get, I’ll be ready to perform.”

A quality challenge

Their three-game winning streak aside, the Celtics [team stats] are still in desperate need of a quality win.

Today’s game against Orlando - the last of the regular-season series against the Magic - certainly qualifies.

The degree of importance depends on who is doing the talking.

“This is a big game, but it’s not a big, big super game,” said Kevin Garnett, drawing an interesting distinction in importance. “We just need this to finish out our short-term goals.

“For ourselves, we’re not going to put too much emphasis on it, but we do know that it’s a big game. We do need to play better. I don’t think we’re fully satisfied with our current play. I wouldn’t put over-emphasis on it, but it is a big game. The goal is to finish out well with two games left (before the All-Star break).”

It’s curious how the Celtics want to look and not look at the same time at the significance of today’s game.

“It’s huge, but we can’t think about it,” said Kendrick Perkins [stats]. “We just have to come out and do it.

“But we need these two wins before the All-Star break to pick it up. That’s when it really kicks into gear. Teams after the break really start to focus on getting into the playoffs.

“The big thing for us is that we really have to put a game together where the starters and the bench are going at the same time, instead of one or the other playing well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment