Monday, January 25, 2010

With Kevin Garnett back, Green find way

Above all, according to Celtics [team stats] coach Doc Rivers, the return of Kevin Garnett has signaled a return to certain principles that had started to fade.

“He’s the guy who holds everyone else accountable on the Celtic way to play, and without him I thought that was slipping,” Rivers said following yesterday’s practice, raising an issue that has struck a chord elsewhere in the lineup.

“I told him last year when he was out that it was good to even have his voice on the bench, because it was so important for the young bigs so early in their careers to have his voice in their heads,” Ray Allen said. “Definitely with him back in the lineup there is a trickle-down effect. “Kevin has never been an individual player. Statistically he’s never been a big scorer. He’ll dominate statistical categories from all aspects - from rebounding to scoring, assists, to get steals, the intangibles go on there as well.

“Really, defensively is where his ego comes into play, and he makes sure that everyone is on the same page.”

With the Celtics about to play five times in seven days, Garnett’s own focus will be on acclimating to the grind.

“It’s definitely a challenge,” Garnett said. “At the same time it’s a measuring stick for where we’re at and where we’re trying to be. We’re trying to prepare ourselves for later on in the season, and this stretch is good for that.

“When you’re traveling, (playing) back-to-backs, you try to stay as positive or mentally strong as you can. You see where you’re at and what you’re made of as a team - how you lose games and how you bounce back.”

No hitches

Garnett’s return from a hyperextended right knee continues to move along without any hitches. He ran through yesterday’s full workout.

“I’m not a doctor, but I’m a person who works really hard at what I do,” he said. “I come in here every day with the same intensity, the same mindset to get better and that’s what it is. I have no timetables. This game is full of injuries. If you go through every team, every guy is beat up on the roster and I’m no different.

“I feel very strong and very positive. I have to piggy-back on that and carry on.”

Said Rivers: “Kevin’s knees are fine. We’re more concerned about his endurance and how that affects his body. The games I’m concerned about with Kevin will be the Atlanta game (Friday) because it comes off a back-to-back with Orlando, and the Washington game (on Feb. 1) because it comes off the Laker game.”

Girding for grid

The early start to practice had a populist reason: The AFC Championship Game started at 3:30.

“I’m either Bears, Patriots [team stats] and then the underdogs,” Rivers said of his own allegiances. “I like (Brett) Favre ’cause he’s old as dust. He’s a forty-ish guy, so I would like to see him do well. I think it will be a tough day, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him do well.

“(Glen Davis) is (a fan of) whoever is good that day, but there hasn’t been a lot of talk about it because all of their teams are out. They did want practice at 12, so that means something.”

No comments:

Post a Comment