Sunday, January 24, 2010

Steve Nash hardly guarded in praise of Rajon Rondo

No less a point-guard expert than Phoenix’ Steve Nash has become duly impressed by Celtics [team stats] guard Rajon Rondo [stats].

“He’s pretty unique,” said Nash, the two-time NBA Most Valuable Player. “I can’t think of anyone who quite has the same skill set he has. I mean, I guess the closest thing would have been maybe Jason Kidd in his day, but they’re still different types of athletes.”

Added Suns coach Alvin Gentry, “He’s developed into one of the best point guards in the league. I think that team has developed so much respect for his leadership ability. I mean, I think he is the leader of that team especially on the court, from the standpoint of putting guys in position and things like that. And he’s a big play guy.”

Which is even more remarkable in that Rondo’s reliable range is around six feet.

“I’m sure his outside shot’s improving, but he probably just doesn’t have to rely on it because he does other things so well,” Nash said. “He’s so long. He can finish in the paint, make big plays for his teammates. He does a lot of different things on the court, so he doesn’t have to rely on his shooting.”

Asked if Rondo’s stroke will improve, Nash said, “It should. It’s inevitable if you spend time at anything it’s going to get better. Most guys improve their shooting throughout their career. He’s improving already, and I imagine he’s going to continue to improve.”

No comments:

Post a Comment