Friday, January 8, 2010

Spurs' Ginobili to Pop: No more starts

Recalling what happened the last time the Spurs played the Mavericks, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has a request of coach Gregg Popovich: Don't even think about putting me in the starting lineup.

It was in the Nov. 18 game in Dallas, his one and only start of the season, that Ginobili suffered a strained left groin. The injury cost him five games on the inactive list and limited minutes during the first few games after his return to action, on Nov. 29 against the 76ers.

“I guess that was my only start of the last few years, and probably the last start of my career,” Ginobili said after the Spurs' 112-92 victory over the Pistons on Wednesday night. “No doubt. No question.”

Nodding in the direction of second-year guard George Hill, who plays both guard positions, Ginobili avowed his preference to continue coming off the bench.

“Now,” he said, “I say to Pop: ‘No. Bring George. George starts.'”

Ginobili said the groin strain occurred on a routine play, as he pushed off on a first step on a drive to the basket.

“I remember I had the ball, and on my first step to the basket to penetrate it happened,” he said. “It wasn't like a big thing, but it started to get tight, tight, tight, and then I couldn't make lateral moves on the floor, so I said no more, let's not risk too much.”

Ginobili likes his role as a fourth-quarter finisher, and looks forward to tonight's game against a team that ranks as one of the Spurs' prime rivals.

“It's always an exciting game,” he said. “We've got a great rivalry going on that's been going on for some years. The whole atmosphere is nice, exciting. I really can't wait.”

All-Star stumping: For Tim Duncan, tonight's game represents a last chance to impress All-Star voters in a head-to-head matchup with the guy immediately ahead of him.

Duncan trails Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki for second place among Western Conference forwards by 49,905 votes. Denver's Carmelo Anthony is the leading vote-getter at the position.

If Duncan cannot catch Nowitzki by the time balloting ends Jan. 18, the Spurs forward will be relegated to reserve duty at the All-Star game for the first time since his rookie season.

BCS tactics: Spurs forward Antonio McDyess, who went to Alabama, said he planned to hunker down in his home to watch Thursday night's Texas-Alabama BCS championship game.

“People know I went to Alabama,” McDyess said. “I've been getting a lot of ribbing about the game, but I just have to keep my mouth shut.”