Sunday, January 31, 2010

Larry Hughes on Arenas: 'He'll be back' with Wizards

The relationship between Gilbert Arenas and the Washington Wizards has soured to seemingly irrevocable levels, with both sides upset with each other in the aftermath of his felony gun charge and season-ending suspension.

An ugly divorce appears inevitable, with speculation that the Wizards would look into voiding Arenas's contract, agree to a buyout on the rest of his six-year, $111-million contract or consumate a trade. But Larry Hughes, Arenas's teammate for three of Arenas's first four seasons in the league with Golden State and Washington, said he believes that Arenas will eventually wear a Wizards uniform again.

"Honestly I do," Hughes said before the Knicks played the Wizards on Saturday. "This is a special place. When you've played here and the city gets behind you, you realize what the fans want, what the city wants. I think he'll come to realize that. I can see it."

Hughes is aware that the Wizards have removed most images of their former franchise player from the Verizon Center -- including a large banner on Sixth Street -- and that Arenas has expressed his displeasure with Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld. He said the hurt feelings would eventually heal.

"You get in trouble, you're mad at the authority but I think it will blow over," he said. "I can see him back here. Fans love him here. I haven't been in the city to know what's been said about him. But the time I was here and even when I came back with Cleveland, they love him. Obviously, he'll have to get out and speak about what's going on, but I don't think they'll hold a grudge against him."

Hughes said he understood the organization's decision to distance itself from promoting Arenas in recent weeks. "It's a decision that they had to make. They have to protect the name of the organization. It's bigger than one guy. But the guys around here, they know he's a big part of what's going on here. I think things will get back to normal."

Hughes said that he hasn't spoken to Arenas since his indefinite suspension was handed down on Jan. 6, but he has reached out to Arenas via text message and left him a voice message on his cellphone. "I've been giving him time to get himself together and reflect on what's going on," he said. "I understand, when you make a mistake and everybody is watching you, kind of need your space to get everything right. He'll start returning phone calls once he gets back focused."

Arenas's 50-game suspension is the third most severe non-drug related punishment ever handed out, but Hughes said he understands Commissioner David Stern's decision. He believes Arenas does, too.

"I think he understands what he did wrong," Hughes said. "The commissioner made a respectable decision. I don't think there was any malice to his decision as far as the remainder of the season. I think Gil respects that, because he did make a big mistake. He doesn't want to lose that playing time or that money. I think he understands that he made a big enough mistake that warranted that kind of punishment. But he'll be back. He'll be back."

No comments:

Post a Comment