Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Duncan returns to MVP level

Before the Spurs won their fourth straight road game on Saturday in Washington , coach Gregg Popovich spent a few moments marveling at the resurgence of his hottest player.

At age 33, Tim Duncan leads Popovich's team in scoring (20.0 points per game), rebounding (10.2) and blocked shots (1.8).

Admitting he'd had occasional off-season doubt about Duncan 's ability to return to the sort of nightly dominance that twice made him the Most Valuable Player, Popovich sounded relieved.

“I hoped I would (see him back at that level),” he said, “and I have.

“He's just been fantastic. He was really wise this summer and took care of himself and was careful with his workouts and didn't overdo it. He's reaping the benefits and has been our most consistent player and continues to be the foundation of what we do.”

Duncan chuckled at Popovich's doubts that he could get back to MVP level.

“I didn't know I left this level,” he said. “Did I?”

Truth be told, after a season that included a diagnosis of tendonosis in his right quadriceps tendon — a condition defined as chronic soreness — and a second straight season with a scoring average under 20 points per game, Duncan spent a few off-season days pondering what the future might hold.

“I had a really tough year with injuries and trying to play through all that,” he said of a season that ultimately required the use a right knee brace that he found uncomfortable and limiting.

“I definitely took a step back.”

Duncan spent a few summer weeks testing one knee brace after another, finally settling on one that works so well, he can play without realizing it is on his leg.

“I went through about four or five,” he said. “I just like the feel and the weight of this one I've been using, and I've stayed with it long enough, I don't even feel it anymore.”

A summer diet and relaxation had a rejuvenating effect.

“I lost some weight, started later in the summer and found the brace that worked,” he said. “I also went and saw some doctors who helped out. I just came back feeling good.”

The result?

“Now I'm just playing,” he said. “I don't know what's going on, really. I'm not trying to do any one thing. I'm not trying to push to be this, that or the other. I'm just playing, and whatever happens, happens.”

Duncan played 36 minutes and 11 seconds Saturday, then opened Sunday's game in Toronto on the bench.

“Pop asked me about it (pregame),” Duncan said, “and it sounded like a decent idea, just to make sure I had my legs down the stretch there, as many games as we'd played.

“It worked. I felt good in the fourth quarter. I just couldn't get anything to go in the hole.”

Popovich always has been mindful of the workload of key players, and the fact Sunday's game was the Spurs' sixth in nine nights played into the decision.

The Spurs coach knew he would get no pushback from his star big man.

“He's amazing,” Popovich said. “In 13 years, there has not been one moan, groan or gripe about playing time. Never. Not once. He's very coachable.”

In fact, Duncan appreciates Popovich's fretting about his health.

“I've got a lot of years and a lot of miles,” Duncan said, “but I've felt pretty healthy this year, and I continue to feel healthy.

“It's just about managing the season and trying to get through it the right way. We'll take opportunities to do some stuff like this to cut back my minutes and do some other things to try and stay as healthy as possible.”

Still, Duncan did some fretting of his own when Sunday's game got away from the Spurs as he watched from the bench.

“We're all competitors here, and we all want to win every game, and we all want to play every minute of every game,” he said. “That's just how it goes.”