Thursday, January 21, 2010

Clippers get past Bulls to match last season's win total


On the day their No. 1 draft pick underwent surgery, the Clippers wanted to show the rest of their operation is functioning as best it can.

They challenged the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday at Staples Center hoping to match their victory total for the entire 2008-09 season at 19 wins.

With Blake Griffin in the house, the Clippers scored a 104-97 win over the Bulls for their second consecutive victory before heading out on an eight-game road trip.

Baron Davis scored 23 points, with 11 coming in the fourth quarter.

Chris Kaman added 20, Al Thornton returned to score 17 and Marcus Camby had 25 rebounds to lead the Clippers.

Derrick Rose scored 23 points, Luol Deng had 19 and Joakim Noah had 14 points and 15 rebounds for Chicago.

The Clippers built a 14-point lead in the fourth quarter. The Bulls cut the deficit to four points four times but could get no closer.

Davis hit a 3-pointer, a 19-footer, a jumper in the lane and two free throws in a 3-minute span after the Bulls closed in.

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy had sat Davis for 6 1/2 minutes of the fourth period in hopes of resting him before tonight's game in Denver.

"The objective was to play him to the 6-minute mark, hopefully not have to go (with him)," Dunleavy said. "But when they made a little bit of a run, he had the rest we needed."

He might have been afforded a lot more rest if the Clippers had done better than 23-for-39 on free throws.

"I was just trying to keep myself in the game knowing I've been feeling a little better, knowing if I can get to the hole, I will," Davis said. "I wanted to save it until I needed it.

"I knew they were keying in on Chris because we were throwing it into him, milking him, so I knew I was going to be able to pull up in the lane.

"Toward the end, I just wanted to take it myself because I knew I had some freedom. I was in a good rhythm offensively just from being aggressive on the defensive end."

The repair of Griffin's left knee turned out to be a little more tricky than expected. Dr. Neal ElAttrache performed a two-part procedure to mend a left patellar fragment incision and the patellar tendon.

Griffin had suffered a nondisplaced stress fracture to the kneecap in the Clippers' final exhibition game. ElAttrache estimated the rookie from Oklahoma would be able to resume action in three or four months.

"This is a rare problem," ElAttrache said before the game. "It was the first time we had to do anything like this."

The Clippers had hoped that Griffin could work through the injury without surgery, but when the pain would not subside - even during workouts in a pool - they turned to season-ending surgery.

Griffin is expected to be able to return for training camp next fall.

During a halftime television interview, Griffin said he hopes to be ahead of where he left off upon his return.

"I definitely hope so," he said. "I'm trying to use this season to my advantage and learn as much as possible.

"It helps when you can see it up close and personal. When I go into the gym, I talk with the coaches and players and get their insights because it's definitely a different perspective when you're up close."

The Clippers got some good news on the injury front when Thornton was able to return after missing two games with a sprained ankle.

Thornton had 10 of his points in the second quarter to help the Clippers to a 50-47 halftime lead.

But they didn't come out unscathed. Guard Eric Gordon, who will participate in the All-Star Game's slam dunk competition, sprained his left big toe in the third quarter and did not return.

His backup, Sebastian Telfair, injured his groin and will not travel today. He will undergo an MRI exam to determine the extent of the injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment