Sunday, December 13, 2009

Van Gundy dismisses issue with Lewis as 'no big deal'

Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy says it was "no big deal" that Rashard Lewis refused to re-enter the game in the second quarter Thursday night at Utah.

Speaking before the Magic played the Phoenix Suns on Friday night, Van Gundy called the incident "a one-time thing"

Van Gundy said he knows Lewis' act was not in defiance but in what he thought was best for the team, that he had two fouls and his replacement was playing well.

"He had thoughts and thought that was what was best for the team," the coach said. "One thing I have confidence in with him all the time -- even if I disagree with him as I did at the time -- he is thinking about the team. He isn't thinking about himself."

Van Gundy said he has never had a disagreement like that in the "couple of hundred" games he's coached Lewis. He said he wished he got along with everyone in his life as well as he does with Lewis.

"I'm not going to blow that out of proportion," Van Gundy said. "If I got along with everyone else in my life as well as Rashard, then I would be in good shape."

Van Gundy said he had talked with Lewis so he would understand "exactly what my thinking was."